Gaining a high rank is done by analyzing the competition's sites SEO properties for your main keywords, and trying to copy their methods while doing better to out rank them.
There are 2 types of search engine optimization techniques:
1. Onpage Optimisation
2. Offpage Optimisation
Onpage factors include:
- The title of the page should include your main keywords and be as short as possible to give them more weight with hyphens used for search spaces.
- You should include your main keywords within header tags, particularly the H1 tag which is usually simply the title of your content. Other keywords should appear in sub-headings, which are your H2 tags. You should also bold and underline these titles containing your keywords.
- You should include your main keywords as often as possible without making the content seem spammy or nonsensical.
- You should use meta tags to write a description of your webpage's content. This will not appear on the actual webpage, but in the description in the search engine results. It should be compelling so visitors click on the link to your site, as well as including your main keywords for optimization purposes.
- If you have any graphics on your site, you should include your main keywords in the alt tag of each image. Offpage Optimisation:
While onpage optimisation is still something you should do, it's NOT what will get you high search engine rankings. This can basically be summed up in a single word -
Google and most other search engines, place great emphasis on both the quality and quantity of inward links to your website. You want to get as many links as possible, but you should place more emphasis on getting quality links from sites similar in subject to your own, and from pages with high page rank (PR).
Offpage parameters include:
Doing search engine optimisation can be done manually or with the help of scripts. It is also very time consuming with lots of commercial feeling!